Burlington MA Police

Social Media Platforms


Leave a comment

Burlington Police Department Announces Successful Independent Evidence Audit

Chief Michael Kent is pleased to announce that the Burlington Police Department performed exceptionally well in a recently concluded independent audit of the department’s evidence storage practices.

Chief Kent proactively sought out independent accounting and consulting firm Blum, Shapiro & Company, P.C. (doing business as “blumshapiro”) to conduct an audit of the department’s evidence seized from 2017 through August 2020. Blumshapiro chose a representative sample of 20 percent of the evidence in the department’s possession, as well as a 100 percent examination of all seized cash, narcotics and sexual assault kits.

The review found that all the selected evidence was “maintained in the most exemplary manner,” and blumshapiro rated Burlington Police’s evidence storage as excellent, and that its protocols are sound and in compliance with department policies, and are in line with industry best practices.

Of the 119 pieces of evidence it examined, blumshapiro identified just four items that were erroneously categorized and were corrected on site.

“Properly maintaining evidence is among our most important responsibilities as a law enforcement agency, and so it’s important to us that we periodically undergo a thorough review of how well we are doing that work from time to time,” Chief Kent said. “I’m proud of the results of our most recent review, which shows that we’re doing very well, while also indicating some room for improvement in administrative processes and approaches.”

The audit concluded last month was the second such proactive voluntary review the department has sought out and undergone in the last three years, with a prior audit taking place in early 2017.

###


Leave a comment

Burlington Police Announces Retirements of Five Members

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, Dec. 28, 2020
Contact: Melissa Proulx
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: melissa@jgpr.net
Burlington Police Announces Retirements of Five Members
BURLINGTON — Chief Michael Kent announces five longtime members of the Burlington Police Department will retire next month.

Dispatcher Gail Fay, Officer Spiros Tsingo, Officer William Soda, Detective Thomas Fournier and Sgt. Bernard Schipelliti will all be retiring in January.

“All together, these five have over 150 years of combined experience,” Chief Kent said. “The impact they have made on the community will not soon be forgotten. We wish them all the best, and hope they have happy and healthy retirements.”

Dispatcher Gail Fay

Dispatcher Fay will officially retire on Jan. 1, 2021 after just over three decades with the department. She joined the Burlington Police Department as a traffic supervisor in October 1989, became a dispatcher in January 1996 and later a special police officer in April 1997.

“Dispatcher Fay has done an exceptional job over the years, many times handling very difficult calls always in a calm, cool manner,” Chief Kent said.

Officer Spiros Tsingos

Officers Tsingos will retire on Jan. 2, 2021 after three and a half decades with the Burlington Police Department. He joined the department as a patrolman in November 1985. As the senior patrolman of the department, he carries badge #1.

“Officer Tsingos has been a mainstay on the dayshift for many years,” Chief Kent said. “His positive attitude resonates through the entire shift. Patrol is the backbone of any police department and Officer Tsingos typifies that.”

Officer William Soda

Officer Soda will retire on Jan. 11, 2021 after 28 years of service. He joined the Burlington Police Department as a reserve officer in June 1992 and was appointed a patrolman in 2003. He has also served as the Information Technology Director since 2011 and served in the United States Marine Corps from 1983-88.

“Officer Soda first served his country then his community,” Chief Kent said. “The department’s IT is on the cutting edge due to Officer Soda’s dedication. He is always available when an issue arises and has strived to make the department more efficient through technology advances.”

Detective Thomas Fournier

Detective Fournier will retire on Jan. 7, 2021 after 32 years with the Burlington Police Department. He joined as a reserve officer in September 1988 and became a patrolman a year later. He also served as the Drug Abuse Resistance Education (DARE) Officer for the department from 1997 to 2002. He became the Youth Services Detective in 2002.

“Over the years Detective Fournier has been a true asset to youth and families in Burlington,” Chief Kent said. “A calming presence at any emergency situation, Detective Fournier’s knowledge on school safety won’t be easy to replace.”

Sgt. Bernard Schipelliti

Sgt. Schipelliti will retire on Jan. 31, 2021 after 32 years with the Burlington Police Department. He joined the department as a reserve officer in 1988 and became a patrolman in 1989. He was promoted to his current rank in 2018 and prior to that, served as the Safety Officer since 1998.

“Sgt. Schipelliti served as the department’s Safety Officer for many years,” Chief Kent said. “In that position he educated several generations of children on a number of safety related issues. Over the last several years, Sgt. Schipelliti has been able to share his wealth of knowledge with the evening shift where he served as a supervisor.”

###


Leave a comment

Burlington Police Arrest and Charge Man Who Assaulted Officer with a Knife

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEWednesday, Aug. 26, 2020
Contact: Melissa Proulx
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: melissa@jgpr.net
Burlington Police Arrest and Charge Man Who Assaulted Officer with a Knife
BURLINGTON — Chief Michael Kent reports that a Roxbury man was arrested after an alleged altercation with officers who were responding to a report of an unwanted subject at a local hotel earlier this month.

ASHTON ROSS, 34 OF ROXBURY, was charged with:

Assault with a Dangerous Weapon
Resisting Arrest
Disorderly Conduct

On Thursday, Aug. 13 at approximately 8:15 p.m., the Burlington Police responded to a local hotel to help remove a disruptive patron. When officers requested that the subject, later identified as ROSS, leave the building, he declined. Shortly after that, it was determined that 
ROSS has an existing warrant out of Boston for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon. When officers attempted to take ROSS into custody, an altercation ensued in which ROSS allegedly drew a knife striking one officer with the knife, which cut his uniform shirt and ballistic vest. The officer was evaluated at a local hospital as a precaution, but was not injured.

ROSS fled the scene and was taken into custody after a brief foot pursuit.

ROSS was arraigned on Aug. 14. Judge David Frank ordered the defendant held on $1,000 bail on this case and his bail was revoked on his open case. ROSS is scheduled to appear in the Woburn District Court for a pre-trial hearing on Sept. 17.

“Incidents like this highlight the bravery and dedication our officers show in the face of unpredictable risk,” Chief Kent said. “I’m grateful the officer was not injured and thank all who responded for their commitment to protect our community.”

These are allegations. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty.

###


Leave a comment

Statement from Chief Kent on the killing of George Floyd

BURLINGTON — Chief Michael Kent and the men and women of the Burlington Police Department condemn the actions of the Minneapolis Police officers which resulted in the death of George Floyd last week, and believe they should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.

“Police officers everywhere take an oath to protect each and every member of their community,” Chief Kent said. “The actions we saw unfold in Minneapolis last week are a stain on the profession of law enforcement.”

The Burlington Police Department believes in treating all people fairly and with dignity, whether they are calling for help, accused of a crime or just encountered in their day-to-day lives by police officers in the community. During an arrest or apprehension of a suspect, officers are trained only to use the amount of force necessary to ensure safety for the suspect, the officers and civilians in the area. Officers also undergo regular training on de-escalation techniques, diversity and inclusion, fair and impartial policing and procedural justice and police legitimacy. 

“The mission statement of the Burlington Police Department clearly states that our officers will work with all citizens of the community to create a safe and secure environment with an emphasis on equality, fairness, integrity and professionalism,” Chief Kent said. “We stand with law enforcement officers in the state, across the nation and around the world who choose to uphold this same commitment to protect and serve all citizens equally and without prejudice.”


Leave a comment

Late Night Shooting at Regan Park

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: john@jgpr.net
Burlington Police Investigating Weekend Shooting Incident not Believed to be Random
BURLINGTON — Chief Michael Kent reports that the Burlington Police Department is investigating a shooting incident that occurred over the holiday weekend.

On Saturday, May 23 at approximately 2 a.m., Burlington Police were notified of a non-fatal shooting that had occurred sometime after midnight. The victim was treated at an area hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

Through the initial investigation, officers learned that the shooting had occurred at Regan Park on Sumpter Road. Officers and detectives responded to the park and processed the scene for evidence.

Burlington Police are actively investigating this incident and do not believe that the incident was random. The department has increased patrols in the area with uniformed and plainclothes officers out of an abundance of caution.

Chief Kent would like to thank Burlington residents for their cooperation during the initial investigation. Anyone who may have information regarding the incident is asked to contact Burlington detectives at 781-272-1212.

###


Leave a comment

Burlington Police Department Receives $3,000 Grant for Click It or Ticket Campaign

BURLINGTON — Chief Michael Kent is pleased to announce that the Burlington Police Department has been awarded a grant to take part in a Click It or Ticket Campaign this spring.

The approximately $3,000 grant was awarded to the Burlington Police Department by the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS) to fund additional seat belt enforcement patrols this May and June.  Press Release – Click it or Ticket

 


Leave a comment

Early 2019 RAD and RAD for Seniors Classes

Our 2019 RAD Women’s Self-Defense Course is being offered from Tuesday April 16th through Tuesday May 14th (5 Nights) from 6 to 9 p.m. – this program is FREE but we ask students to attend all 5 nights.  Sign up here: https://goo.gl/forms/iCdEnroYxAIb8IP33

We are also offering a FREE RAD for Seniors Safety and Self-Defense class for Men + Women aged 60 and over. RAD for Seniors is a 15 hour long program to be offered over 10 sessions. Classes will run for 5 weeks on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.mThe course will start on Tuesday March 26, 2019. The last class will be on Thursday April 26, 2019. If you are interested in this program please contact Officer Lyn Reynolds 781-505-4958 or email lreynolds@bpd.org to sign up. All classes will be held at the Burlington Council on Aging.

We offer personal safety and self-defense classes for women, seniors, men, and children. We teach the RAD programs for each group of adults and Radkids for children. You can find out more about these programs at http://www.rad-systems.com and http://www.radkids.org

Upcoming RAD classes are announced on our Twitter account @burlingtonpd and Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/burlingtonpd You can also sign up to be notified of upcoming RAD classes here: https://goo.gl/62u6z